There's no need to crank up the thermostat and heat your entire home. You have your trusty space heater to kill the chill! These portable heating appliances are convenient, affordable, and can help reduce your home’s overall utility bill. The downside? They can be extremely dangerous. The National Fire Protection Association reported that heating appliances were the second-leading cause of home fires in the United States. At Mid-Florida Heating & Air, our customers' safety and comfort are our top priorities, which is why we're offering today's safety tips.
Buying a space heater
Look for a model that automatically shuts off after a certain amount of time, when it overheats, and if it’s knocked over.
Check the label and make sure it was tested in a qualified laboratory. Typically you’ll find them with a UL mark from Underwriters Laboratories, ETL label from Intertek, or certification from CSA International.
Setting up your space heater
Read the manufacturer’s instructions before using your heater.
Inspect it for any fraying wires or loose pieces. If you notice any damages, then put it back in the box and get a new one.
Make sure the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms in your home are working properly.
Place the heater on a solid surface and keep it at least three feet away from other objects.
Plug it into the outlet directly and avoid using power strips or extension cords, which can cause overheating.
Warn your kids about its dangers and how to be safe around it.
Using your space heater
Never leave the heater on unattended. If you’re going to leave the room or sleep, turn it off.
When the device is on, check it regularly for overheating near the outlet or cord itself.
Be wary of how long you keep yours on. Space heaters should only be on for short periods of time.
Space heaters are great tools to help you warm up but it's important to understand that these should be used to provide supplemental heat. If you depend on them this cold season, you may want to reconsider. If your primary heating system has been struggling to provide warmth, then give us a call at (352) 310-0022, and we'll get it running again.